What You will be needing
- Fresh Bitter leaves – or dried
- Food Processor – with the DOUGH blade.
Steps on How To
1. You don’t need to pick the leaves off the stems, just jumble all into a pot and let it boil for about 7 – 10 minutes. This leaches out the bitterness, and assists the process.
2. As it boils, you will see the water darken. My grandma would have saved that water and made you drink it. Very medicinal she would say. Yuck!!!!
3. Get out your food processor and attach the dough blade. Very essential. The knife blade may turn the bitter leaves into a puree.
4. Add the bitter leaves into the bowl
5. Add a little water. Dooney’s Kitchen Tip: don’t make the mistake i made by adding too much water, because as the contents start to spin, it will splash water all over the place.
6. Cover the bowl, turn the knob to max and watch it go
see the foam….. and watch the videos below
The leaves start out whole, and as you manually wash they shrink and become stringy, well, the food processor does the same. See
Take it out of the bowl, and into a sieve. Run water over it and squeeze
this was the water that collected below. Again, depending on preference, you can run the engine of the food processor for a short time to preserve as much of the bitterness i will say a minute or two, or much longer to reduce the concentration of the bitterness to a large extent, till it has the bitter-sweet taste. I am team latter.
and you are done