|Vittorio Gassman Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1¾ in|
|Date of Birth||September 1, 1922|
|Date of Death||June 29, 2000|
Vittorio Gassman was an Italian actor, director, writer, and screenwriter who became one of the country’s most distinguished stars by appearing in films like Il Sorpasso (1962), The Great War (1959), La Tosca (1973), We All Loved Each Other So Much (1974), Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958), I mostri (1963), For Love and Gold (1966), Bitter Rice (1949), In the Name of the Italian People (1971), Scent of a Woman (1974), Sleepers (1996), and many others.
Il Mattatore, The Sir Laurence Olivier of Italy
He was born on September 1, 1922.
He passed away on June 29, 2000, in Rome after suffering a heart attack at the age of 77 years.
Genoa, Kingdom of Italy
He had trained in acting at the Accademia Nazionale d’Arte Drammatica Silvio D’Amico, a prestigious national drama school in Rome.
Actor, Director, Writer, Screenwriter
- Father – Heinrich Gassmann (Engineer)
- Mother – Luisa Ambron
6 ft 1¾ in or 187.5 cm
87 kg or 192 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vittorio Gassman had dated –
- Nora Ricci (1943-1952) – He was married to his first wife Nora Ricci from June 12, 1944, until April 16, 1952. During their marriage, the couple had welcomed a daughter named Paola Gassman (b. June 1945), who grew up to become an actress as well.
- Elvi Lissiak (1950-1952)
- Shelley Winters (1951-1954) – Gassman tied the knot with American actress Shelley Winters on April 28, 1952. The couple was blessed with daughter Vittoria-Gina Gassman (b. February 14, 1953) before they headed for divorce in 1954. Years later, Winters revealed in her biography that, due to a language barrier, the two had struggled to understand each other a lot during the first year of their relationship.
- Anna Maria Ferrero (1953-1960)
- Mary Meade (1958)
- Giorgia Moll (1961)
- Annette Stroyberg (1961-1963)
- Juliette Mayniel (1964-1968) – From 1964 until 1968, the Sombrero (1953) actor was in a relationship with Juliette Mayniel. She gave birth to their son Alessandro Gassmann on February 24, 1965.
- Michèle Mercier
- Gila Golan (1967)
- Tina Aumont (1968) – RUMOR
- Diletta D’Andrea (1970-2000) – On December 7, 1970, he wed Diletta D’Andrea and the duo welcomed a son named Jacopo Gassman (b. June 26, 1980). Their marriage lasted until Vittorio’s death on June 29, 2000.
Race / Ethnicity
He had German ancestry on his father’s side and was of Italian Jewish descent on his mother’s side.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
- Powerful, versatile voice
- Tall built
- Handsome looks
Vittorio Gassman Facts
- He was a talented basketball player.
- Vittorio began focusing on acting as a career after his mother dissuaded him from becoming a lawyer.
- He had published 4 novels in his lifetime: Luca de’ Numeri in 1947, Un grande avvenire dietro le spalle in 1981, Vocalizzi in 1988, and Memorie del sottoscala in 1990.
- Gassman was born on the same day as The Ten Commandments (1956) actress Yvonne De Carlo i.e., September 1, 1922.
- He suffered from bipolar disorder.
- For his performance in the 1974 film Scent of a Woman (which is different from the 1992 American remake), Vittorio received the ‘Best Actor’ award at the 1975 Cannes Film Festival.
Featured Image by Elena Torre / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0